Friday 16 December 2011

14th- 15th December: including working on self portraits, agh!


14th December: oh, another kitchen sink sketch.
15th December: self portrait sketch
Some thoughts on self portraits: as soon as I try to draw myself everything I've ever learnt about drawing seems to go out the window and it's a truly horrible experience. Possibly this is worse because of the memory of the number of times the same thing has happened...but the experience seems to bring back all the feelings of despair followed by rage that drawing used to elicit in me. So, yesterday I battled with myself, set a timer for 5 minutes and set to work.I won't inflict the results of the first few sets on you; this is one of the last ones, after a good hour or so of serious practice.  Not as bad as I first thought...

5 comments:

  1. Wow! you nailed all the thoughts that go with a self portrait. I'm glad, however, that you stuck with the process. It is an expressive piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it interesting that when we step away, it's often not as bad as we first thought? I love the lines and shadows that you are getting in your ink drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me, you even captured your mood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this one - and share your feelings from my personal experience with self-portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is really likeable. And it really does "feel" like you!

    /Limp

    ReplyDelete